Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's the best non toxic water based acrylic paint for decorating wooden tables that will be used for meals?

I would like to paint children's designs on tables that will be used in a magical classroom for eating on. I suppose they will have to be sealed with a water based polyurethane of some sort, but mostly I need to know the best brand of paints to get the most beautiful colors. Any experienced furniture painters out there?What's the best non toxic water based acrylic paint for decorating wooden tables that will be used for meals?
I used liquitex brand acrylics when painting a table for a local coffee shop and it turned out beautifully. Personally I find golden brand acrylics too thick but their colors are wonderful. Liquitex is a little thinner which is good for covering large areas. I've never had much of a problem with fading over time either. For the most part acrylic paints are pretty non-toxic to my knowledge, also whatever coating you put on the table to protect the paintings will provide a protective barrier against any leeching of pigments.





The only thing I will caution you against is that the knot holes in the wood actually shows through the paint over time. When I did my project If I had primed the table with a good coat of gesso that could have been avoided, so prime your tables well :)What's the best non toxic water based acrylic paint for decorating wooden tables that will be used for meals?
i woud go with a water based 2 part epoxy.......typically its used on garage floors i use it every day for that prpose as i own a concrete coatings company...its extremely durable very long lasting and very strong...i get all mine from scots paint
I took a clear epoxy and finished some trim on a boat... I took clear urethane and finished some other trim on the same boat.... the epoxy chalked inside 6 months and the urethane lasted 2 years before beginning to chalk...





Restaurant surfaces are frequently coated with an epoxy... but my experience is that Urethane is better





As for acrylic paint I think Golden is the best.


http://www.goldenpaints.com/


I think if you contact Golden they can guide you best on the issues of toxicity...





There are also wooden dyes out there but I haven't used those
  • computer repair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment