Thursday, February 11, 2010

What is the best source for a decent acrylic tank for my water turtles?

I've looked everywhere on the internet but I keep getting things for fish. I need an aquarium that is more wide than it is deep or tall. I've heard from the people at PetCo that going to a reptile expo is a good idea but I don't know where one is going to be happening. My mom was going to build a pond but she didn't want to spend $1000+ on it. They're in a kiddie pool for now but I just wish they could have more space to swim. I'm willing to save up for a good, big one it's just that I don't know WHERE to get one.What is the best source for a decent acrylic tank for my water turtles?
LMAO I HAVE MADE THIS SUGGESTION TO ALOT OF PEOPLE AND I DO IT MYSELF...


I USE A UNDER BED CLEAR STORAGE CONTAINER... ITS LONG AND DEEP ENOUGH THAT THE TURTLE DOESNT CRAWL OUT. JUST BE CAREFUL WITH THE LIGHTING.What is the best source for a decent acrylic tank for my water turtles?
Acrylic tanks are not appropriate for reptiles because the tanks get scratched too easily.
We went to our local home improvement store and had them cut acrylic to the dimensions we wanted.Make sure to tell them what your doing, they can help you decide on the right thickness. Then purchased acrylic compound(its like an acid that melts the 2 pieces together). After that we sealed it with pond silicone that's safe for fish. It sounds like alot but it took us an hour to put together. We also made our own lid with screen and a screen window kit with a wood frame.It was also alot cheaper than any we could buy in these sizes.
you sont have to do that much just get a rubber lining and line an area of your yard that youv'e dug a whole as deep a you desire and surround with rock and vegetation you could check out books on how to make them.
If your kiddie pool is getting tight, you shuold either divide them over a couple of pools, look for stock tanks, or consider an actual pond- indoors or outdoors.





I have only seen a few good looking large commercially made turtle habitats, and the cost is outrageous for the home keeper. You can use pond supplies and build a gorgeous turtle pond in your house (and/or one outside) for far less (even less than $1000- unless it is a big outdoor pond with all the trimmings!)





Another cheap possibility is a home-made, in-house enclosure. The basic idea here will be to use 4x4 or similar 'logs' to make the walls. Put some heavy-duty sheet plastic (pond liner is best) in this space and run it up the walls and over the top. Put a few more logs above this to hold it down, and prevent climb-outs. Fill with water (oh, the cheaper the plastic, the more likely a leak is- you probably want to do this near a floor drain!) Remember- you can't just stack the walls- make sure they are spiked together.





Now, all you need is water, lighting, filtration, basking sites, etc. and some decor (for your sake mostly).

No comments:

Post a Comment