Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How can I tell if my painting is acrylic or oil?

I bought a painting at a garage sale, the person didn't know what type of paint was used.





How can I tell if it was painting with acrylic or oil paint?How can I tell if my painting is acrylic or oil?
by testing its chemical composition. Lot of artists use acrylics that look like oils and you can't see a difference. Take it to a antique shop and they might tell you. But visually it might be impossible. Also some artists use both acrylics and oil in the same painting. acrylics for washes and oils for highlights


good luckHow can I tell if my painting is acrylic or oil?
Smell it.
close your eyes.feel the texture.oils have much thicker lines and ridges usually.acrylics are usually silky feeling.oils also show blended and shaded colors much smoother to the eye.acrylics are sometimes more opaque.
Oil tends to be grainer than acrylic and sharper as well if this makes sense - acrylics can also have the same effect but when dried they tend to feel smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment