Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can I use acrylic paint on clothes instead of fabric paint?

I don't have any fabric paint, and I was wondering if I could just use normal acrylic paint instead, because that's all I have. If I do use acrylic, will it wash off or dye other clothes in the wash? A friend put acrylic on his sweatshirt, and it never came off. Plus, whenever I get acrylic on clothes, it doens't come off. So what do you think? Thanks for your time!Can I use acrylic paint on clothes instead of fabric paint?
I have gotten some acrylic paint on my favourite shirt, and it didn't come off. This was artist paint... not wall paint. (I wonder if there is much difference.) Acrylic paint mixes with water, so you can thin it out a bit if you want. I would not put on a thick coat of paint anyway. It may work better on a slightly damp fabric. Try it out on an old T-shirt, let it dry, wash it and dry it. I think once it is dried, it never comes off. It never washes off, never got on anything, and hasn't faded at all. I never put anything into the dryer so I can't tell you what would happen there, but I don't think there would be much damage.Can I use acrylic paint on clothes instead of fabric paint?
Paint with acrylic (I use The Works cheapie!) put something in between both layers of a T-shirt before painting, let dry.


Steam iron with a cloth/baking paper between and dry.


Wash it, pop in dryer on low if necessary.


Lasts forever......

Report Abuse



Acrylic and fabric paint are pretty much the same thing. You COULD use the base stuff that ';makes'; acrylic into fabric paint, but the difference in the dried texture is only very very slight. No matter which one you use, the result will be pretty stiff unless you use something specialized like Dye-Na-Flow.





So in a word, yes!





I wouldn't put it in the dryer afterwards though.

No comments:

Post a Comment